7-30-11 RACING

by Pam

With all the record heat and triple digits we’ve been having, it’s hard to say it was a beautiful day … but it was.  Sun, good wind, good competition and three solid races with lots of opportunities to learn rules, tactics and shifts.

Although I spent Wednesday evening practicing mark roundings and boat handling, I discovered that I needed more practice.  Even though I went from 4th to 1st in the last 100 yards of the first race, it was in spite of my boat handling.  But I’ll take it.  In the second race, I was in the lead at the first mark but, once again … boat handling … the main slipped a bit in my hand and my sail brushed the mark and I had to do a circle.  I learned later that I went low to do my circle and low is slow and an invitation for the fleet to pass but if I’d gone high, I’d be in the passing lane when done and would have only lost a boat length..  Note to self. 

Saturday brought more chatter than normal on the race course.  We had some crowded and challenging mark roundings as well as an interesting start.   For the benefit of one of our newest guests, Sam, I must say that, in general, the Butterfly fleet is very friendly and a great place to learn.  Almost all of us encourage you to jump right on in at the starts and mark roundings and ask questions about rights and learn.  If in doubt, you can always do like Catherine and just barge right in, bat your eyelids, show a little leg, giggle, and say, ‘did I do that?’ and the guys will just give you a little coaching at lunch time.

Doug and Brad sailed a Laser for the first race and got some good video footage.  Be sure to check out the videos.  I found them educational.  Doug even predicted Sandy’s drop from 1st to 4th in the first race when he peeled off.  Lots of tactical stuff going on out there. 

The events of the day somehow inspired Doug to run for fleet captain next year.  Imagine that.  A two time Laser world champion who wants to support the Butterfly fleet and maintain its friendly and inviting atmosphere.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

  • Pam  
    8/01/2011 6:23 PM

    TESTING ... just now heard that the comments haven't been working so I adjusted some settings and am crossing my fingers.

  • Anonymous  
    8/01/2011 6:25 PM
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  • Pam  
    8/01/2011 6:28 PM

    Doug's test comment was deleted. Apparently, blogger keeps track of deleted comments. Cool!

  • Sam  
    8/02/2011 9:45 AM

    I'm glad comments are working as I've been wanting to say what a great time I've had racing with the fleet the past couple weeks. Everyone I've met, both on the water and at the club, has been friendly, helpful, and encouraging.

    The videos with Doug's commentary are great!

  • Cathy  
    9/06/2011 8:50 PM

    I agree. The videos with Doug's commentary are fantastic! I have watched them several times.

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...