12-9-2017 Racing

by Pam

Friday night at the annual Christmas party, the weather forecast had most people convinced there would be no sailing on Saturday.  Nevertheless, people showed up to make that decision for themselves.  Anytime the wind is out of the North and the water temperatures are cold, it merits careful consideration about sailing.  We probably should have remembered that.

Several of us showed up at about the same time and walked out to the end of the WRBC docks.  The sun was out, the temperature didn’t feel too cold and the breeze seemed a bit on the gentle side.  Not at all like the forecast.  Sandy was already dressed to go out, Marshall was game, Paul was a go, John was on the fence, Jim detoured to the committee boat, and Doug and I were both prepared to sail so we decided to knock out 3 quick back to back races … but that old North wind had different plans.

As we sailed out to the start, the wind was beginning to build with an unpredictable selection of puffs and shifts.  Cathy’s boat, Sylvia, gave me a few warnings on the way to the course that she would not tolerate a wild ride so I had better go easy.  It’s been a while since I danced with the old North wind but I remembered the steps … hard puff, hard hike, no wind or auto tack, capsize.  My goals were simple, no hiking for any reason, stay upright and finish the race.  Doug was a different story entirely.
 
Doug showed up completely unprepared, wearing heavy fleece pants and a heavy fleece top and nothing waterproof.  I rummaged through the car and gave him spare wind pants, jacket and gloves and Paul put a fleet boat together for him.  By the time he got to the race course, we were already in the start sequence and he just winged it and hit the line on time and was leading the fleet straight to the left side of the course.  You know, where the strongest, puffiest, shiftiest and most unpredictable wind was lying in wait for the fleet.  Doug didn’t even get to dance.  Not more than 20 yards off the start line, he initiated a roll tack and just kept on rolling.  Now, he’s still recovering from broken ribs so I hollered for the committee boat that he was going to need help and turned to see they were already pulling up the anchor.  He’s Canadian and can tolerate cold temperatures and if I just stayed upright, I had him beat so I kept on sailing.

Paul had been on Doug’s hip and continued to stretch his lead throughout the race as the wind got wilder and wilder.  John was living dangerously and hiking.  I was with Sandy for a brief period but he left me behind early on.  Nancy was behind me for the briefest of time and then passed me on a few shifts that I either didn’t see or didn’t get since I was favoring the right and more stable side of the course.  I was unintentionally working my way back to Miles as the wind built and then noticed that Marshall had rounded the windward mark and headed back to the docks.  Then it looked like Miles had pulled ahead of me on the second upwind but he had turned early to head back in as well.  I was in last place but I had already beat three boats and one of those was Doug, so there was no quitting.

Paul won the race with a nice lead, John was second, Sandy third, Nancy fourth and I brought up the rear with Doug trailing behind to keep an eye on me.  Yes, despite being soaking wet and wearing clothes that were the equivalent of a sea anchor, after being rescued, he stayed on the course to race in the second race and also to keep an eye on me.  Probably, I should have felt bad about leaving him in the water at the start but … ah … well, I had him beat if I finished the race. 

It was a pretty clear that racing was over for the day after we finished the first race.  Nancy came over later and said that the CSC weather station indicated we had a 29 mph gust while racing.  Yep … that sounds about right.  What fun!  Oh, and Doug had a nice hot shower, a good long nap, and now has the beginnings of a cold.  He’ll nap again today and be fine by tomorrow.  He’s pretty durable that way.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...