3-29-2014 Racing

by Pam
Saturday was a beautiful Spring day with plenty of sunshine and a nice breeze.  Gary and Catherine had duty and Gary brought a very lovely guest who cheered for everyone as they crossed the finish line.  I loved that!

The wind was from the North which means the windward mark was stuck up in that corner and a challenge to get to.  We had the whole instant 5 second hike along with the endless tacks.  Cathy was close behind me and Doug in one race and Doug and I were less than 5 or 10 feet from each other.  He got headed and tacked and I got lifted and kept going.  Cathy commented that she wasn't sure who to follow.  Always follow Doug … at least right up until he falls out of the boat.

When that North breeze blows, anything can and does happen.  Larry went for a swim in the first second race of the first leg.  Miles beat Burton in the second race.  Doug was in the lead in the third race and did a slow motion capsize that let the rest of the fleet pass before he got the boat up and finished.  That pretty much sums up the wind.  We should just have a supply of Tide and Bleach bottles to hand out on North wind days.

So, I think I figured something out for the first time about the North wind.  Probably not news to anyone else but it was eye opener for me.  In the third race, I attempted an unfair head start and got called back and ended up about 50 yards behind the four amigos who rounded a mark or two four deep which was quite interesting to watch from my perspective.  Anyway, as we were coming up to the windward mark (the one that requires a 100 tacks to get to) I must have been further windward as I attempted sail over to the fluky area and I noticed that I would get headed and within a few seconds, lifted again.  It became very obvious that there were fingers of wind close together that were a header on one side and a lift on the other. The more windward I was, the closer the fingers and I would simply sail the downs for a few seconds and then sail the ups for a few seconds and I wasn't losing any ground. If those fingers were more spread out further down the lake, I can easily see now how in the past when I tacked on one side of a finger, I'd get to the next tack and be headed again, perpetually staying out of phase.  So, Doug decided to sketch what I was describing.  Is he right?

An exaggerated example of sailing through the fingers which is what I thought I was doing.

An exaggerated example of trying to stay on a lift between fingers.  You sail a shorter distance but you are in less wind.

An exaggerated example of staying in more wind but sailing a further distance.
The challenge is to stay lifted and stay in pressure. Doug says it's best to do a combination of diagrams 2 and 3 so that you have the best combination of being lifted and staying in pressure. He says that diagram 1 is being aware of the conditions but not using them to my advantage. 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

  • Anonymous  
    4/03/2014 4:52 PM

    I may have to read this several times. lol. I think Larry capsized in the first leg of the second race, not the first. Yes! More bleach bottles please! lol. Maybe what the diagrams show and what you are describing is something I noticed only once. As I was sailing alone I saw a ripple on the water and I got on the very edge of it and got a huge lift that went on and on. I wish that would happen again . .. but it never has.

  • Pam  
    4/03/2014 5:31 PM

    You're probably right about Larry. I lost track. Up, down, up, down, up down. I too need to study the diagrams. I described what I felt and he sketched it but that didn't look like what I felt. He's probably right.

  • Anonymous  
    4/04/2014 6:19 PM

    Gonna probably be another squirrelly day with wind from the East tomorrow. Up, down, up, down, only sideways across the lake. Should be fun!

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...