4-5-2014 Racing

by Pam

Photos - not great

Saturday was cold, breezy and overcast but when we got to the lake and I started counting sails going up, I quickly got to 14 and wondered what about this day was so appealing?

Cam and Amber had duty and had already set the course and returned to the docks about the time we arrived. The start was delayed because we had three guests, Tony, James and Michael. Getting them all sorted out and away from the docks took a little time. Tony, whom I believe I understood to be a beginning sailing coach for WRBC raced the first two races.  James, who is considering buying a Butterfly was on a fleet boat and puttered around for the first two races getting a feel for the boat.  Michael, who apparently sailed with us a few years ago but moved away has now returned and sailed Tom's boat for all three races.

In the first race I was Doug's handicap and did my best to distract him while I took pictures and video. Considering how close I was to everyone, the results were disappointing. We had our favorite camera go missing in Canada and bought a used replacement since they no longer sold the model we liked so much.  I had noticed that the quality seemed to be off but there was always one excuse or another as to why the pictures might not have been good.  Yesterday, there were no excuses.  The camera is definitely a lemon so we went shopping and have ordered what I hope is an improvement.  It is supposed to have a dual mode so that we can take videos and still shots at the same time. Can't wait!

So, after putting Doug deep in the fleet in the first race, which Bruce won, I was moved to the committee boat so Doug could really sail. Cathy had taken a tumble in the tack room at the beginning of the day which must have aligned the neurons in her brain just right because she was sailing extremely well.  I have what should have been some really good footage of her sailing. She went by us like we were sitting still in the first race, excellent boat handling, nice balance, looking quite good in the boat.  In the second race, we were just chatting away on the committee boat and looked up at the reaching mark to see Burton with a boat hot on his tail and Doug trailing behind. Turns out, Cathy was in second place and by the time they reached the mark, they were side by side.  We couldn't believe our eyes and went in for a closer look and got a little too close to the action which drew some playful comments from Burton. Meanwhile, Doug was mumbling to himself about not getting chicked again.  Cathy did a good job of holding her place but in the end slipped to 5th which is still quite good considering her competition. Gary made a nice move on the last leg and slipped into 3rd. I believe Doug redeemed himself with a 1st. 

I couldn't tell you what happened in the third race because a couple of guests left the course and I opted to help them land and we tried to get things somewhat put away and by the time we did, folks were already returning to the docks looking like they'd had a good time.

If we get this kind of a turnout on a not so nice day, I can't wait until it warms up a little. The summer is looking promising.

At the end of racing, I noticed a boat went over.  Someone said it was Larry.  That's a two times in a row now.  As I was browsing through the pictures, I believe I may have stumbled across the problem. Someone grab some duct tape next time you see him and cover up "wet" on his life jacket.  The Universe seems to be having a little fun with him.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

  • Anonymous  
    4/07/2014 5:44 PM

    Thank you for taking photos and love the blog. Might be 3 in a row for Larry. I noticed that too . . . kinda like he's got a bulls-eye on his back. lol

  • Anonymous  
    4/07/2014 5:55 PM

    On second thought, must just be the last couple of times. I think it's that cleat causing problems. Mine has taken me over as well . ..

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...