11-28-09 RACING

by Pam
Was it windy on Saturday or what? CSC’s website indicated that the wind hit 31 sometime during the third race. I raced the first race double-handed with Doug so he could teach me how to use the compass properly. I found it too distracting. More learning for me to do.

Doug spent the day appreciating his new eye and his ability to see things that he says he’s never seen in his entire life. He was fascinated with everything … being able to see the course, the wind, the windward mark, and he couldn’t get over the realization that the water and reflections on the water actually rise and fall with the waves.

I decided to jump off during the second race because I wanted to see how competitive my boat was in the hands of a good skipper. He popped out front early and was looking good and my boat seemed to be moving faster and faster and the wind kept building and then boats started going over.

At the end of the day, I think all but two or three boats had thrown their skipper. Those on the docks had the unpleasant experience of watching one of the fleet boats go over and go unnoticed for far too long. Then Amber lost her mast and was towed back to shore by Doug who then missed the start of the third race. It was a little chaotic. I believe some safety discussions and a go-no go chart is in our future.

I found Doug’s comments interesting when he returned to the docks. He said my boat was talking to him and it wasn’t saying nice things so he eased up and pulled out of the third race early. He noted that the Laser talks to him in that kind of weather too but instead of “quit” it says “bring it on.” Well done for all who stayed out (and up) but what were you thinking?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...