Musing 6

by Pam
With camera in hand, Doug recently asked several Butterfly members why they love the Butterfly.  When I looked at the footage I was surprised by the fact that every single female included as part of her answer because 'I can do it by myself'. 

In talking with Doug down in Cabarete, he noted that he's had several older women come take sailing lessons for the first time.  He sits down with them before the lesson and asks their goals.  Every single women has indicated they don't want to learn how to race but they want to be independent and be able to do it by themselves.  Interesting!  It would appear that women around the world have something in common.  I'm not entirely sure what the bigger statement is, but it does provide an interesting insight into at least part of the motivation of women learning to sail.

Doug tries to take videos of all of his students in Cabarete to provide them with a little keepsake from their lessons.  Here is a 66 year old grandmother from Porland, Oregon taking lessons for the first time.  This is her 4th lesson in a Laser Radial and she is already outside the protected area in open water catching waves with the wind building to over 15 mph.  Amazing!


I had previously told Doug that I don't ever want the helm of a small boat in salt water (where I'm part of the food chain).  After seeing this lady (and several others he's taught), I do believe I'm changing my mind.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...