9-10-11 RACING

by Pam

Cooler temperatures, oscillating between no wind and light wind from all directions. I was without a boat and ended up sailing Gary’s boat. Gary must be an engineer extraordinaire. His set up is sheer perfection with no wasted movements. I was rigged, in the water and sailing in 3 minutes flat. Genius!

The sail upwind to the start line was a pain but somehow pleasant with the very light but coolish breeze here and there. It was taking so long that I kept looking at all the boats headed to the start line and wondered what was wrong with these people. Did they really think we were going to have enough wind to sail? It turns out the wind built slightly and we were actually able to get in 3 races.

I don’t know if Gary is a sailor extraordinaire able to make a slow boat go fast or if the pounding in my head took a toll on my sailing but there were no dots connecting for me. Nevertheless, I want to see Gary sail one of the newer boats to see if it’s me or his boat. I’m thinking he might be really fast.

I was pretty far back but it looked like Frank, Bruce and Sandy were having a good day. We had a few interesting things happen. First, Lynn was out sailing with us. It’s always good to see him and I hope he’s able to make it out more. Second, Catherine got a 2nd in the second race, just beating Sandy. Woohoo! Third, Bruce got called over early (along with me) in the second race and although I tanked and called it a day, Bruce worked his way to a decent finish. At the end of the day Bruce had his boat flipped over and he was cleaning the White Rock scum off the bottom. It looks like he and the boat are forming quite the attachment. Fourth and last, Miles decided to test his weight and balance by stepping on the front of his boat at the docks and then used himself as a yardstick to see just how low the water was ... about waist high. Careful tipping in the harbor … you could twist an ankle. Just another weekend with some mild entertainment.

Okay, I have a question. Not sure if it was Gary’s boat, the wind or me but I kept doing backwards circles when trying to go upwind. The boat wouldn’t go upwind or tack and would just slowly turn away from the wind and do what appeared to be a chicken tack. Is there such a thing? Sam and I even did a tandem one at the mark when our boats decided to sail side by side and not separate. It was the oddest thing.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...