September 15th Racing - From a Canoe.

By Cathy
The day looked dismal for sailing.  A cool front had come in on the previous day and left us with light winds predicted and grey fluffy clouds.  For that reason, I decided not to sail and C. and I paddled the canoe over to the boat club and waxed the bottom of our Snipe.  Since I suspected the diehard Butterflys would be out - even if there was very little wind, I also took along my camera.
The fearless race committee
 As it turned out, four Butterflys and three Lasers came out to sail, Burton and Jim set up an Olympic triangle race course, and there was plenty of wind for the race we watched.  I was sorry I was not sailing as it would have been great practice for me since the course was not very crowded and the wind actually seemed fairly steady. 

As we paddled back to the Bathhouse we happened to pass very near the leeward mark and Burton suggested that if we moved a little east we would be out of the way and could get some good shots.  That did put us in a good spot though we seemed to be in the middle of the radio controlled sailboat race course - but we figured canoes had right of way.
This little guy joined the race for a bit...
From our position, it looked like Eddie held the lead for most of the race with Gary and Frank giving him a run for his money.  The viewpoint from the canoe is a lot different than when I am sailing among the Butterflys.  I imagined if I'd been sailing, I'd have been right there behind them . . .but the truth is I can never stay up with these guys.

Later, C. and I also missed our chance to sail with the Snipes - because we once again got psyched-out by the low wind prediction - and once again we missed some beautiful sailing.  While we claim to be "Goldilocks" sailors, maybe it often pays to just get out there and see what happens.  I'm going to remember that next time.
 

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 COMMENTS/FEEDBACK

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...